Riff Relevant is seeking additional contributors! Do you have a way with words? Are you a music-addicted witty, metalhead who wants to write about their musical drug of choice? Are you looking to expand your network of music or writing-related opportunities? Then here is your shot.
If you have perused the Riff Relevant website or Facebook page, then you are already interested in the type of music we cover – which is Heavy… all genres of heavy music.
RiffRelevant.com is looking for freelance, volunteer writers and reviewers to submit content on a regular or semi-regular basis.
If you want to join the ranks and start contributing toward the site’s success by:
- Reviewing the music releases that interest you.
- Taking photos at live music events you attend.
- Reviewing performances and venue atmosphere at those music events.
- Talking with artists for interviews about their music, news, or events.
- Suggesting new ideas for potential articles or features.
- Being part of a site that is as weird and wonderful as you are.
This is a volunteer opportunity, *not a paying job*. We do not earn a living from Riff Relevant. We have day jobs we hate waking up early for, which interrupts the time we could spend having fun here and going to more live music shows. (My job pays me and I pay for this website and all the music and concert tickets I buy, so I don’t complain too much.) This is a passion. This is an addiction.
We’re not expecting experts in the music field, nor do you need a degree in journalism. Photographer hobbyists looking to gain experience are fine. Professional photographers looking for a landing pad to host their concert photos are also lovely.
We like most all genres of heavy music, and that’s what we write about. If you only like one type of metal, then only write about one genre. There are no elitists here, so we’re still going to post about all the other styles. There aren’t many rules:
- Be an adult (over 18 years old).
- Be relatively sane and straightforward with a passion for heavy music.
- Have working knowledge of the written English language and grammar rules.
- Know your way around a digital camera and photo editing (if a photographer).
- There are no set hours. Do your best writing at 3:00 a.m.? Write at 3:00 a.m.
- Be professional in your communications (i.e. don’t be creepy or a flake).
- Be willing to contribute at least once or twice a month (or daily – up to you).
- Be located ANYWHERE. You would write remotely and email your submissions.
- We do *not* bash bands. If a release is that bad, we simply don’t review it. There’s no desire to insult for the sake of insulting.
- You *must* have a sense of humor, integrity, and check your ego at the door.
What you’ll get from us is a chance for you to transform your passion for heavy music how you want – build your freelance writing repertoire, gain more experience with your camera, have an excuse to attend more music events, or just share more of the music we all like with the world.
You may get some free music to listen to, a chance to talk shop with some music artists you like, or simply have fun listening to new tunes and hear the dirt on new releases and tours first.
Whatever your reasons, the most important is that you want to do it because you love this music and want to support its artists.
Still interested? Then send an email with samples of your writing or several recent photos (website links to your credited works are acceptable) to Leanne[at]riffrelevant.com.
I’m happy to answer any questions you may have. We look forward to hearing from you!