Article By: Leanne Ridgeway, Owner/Chief Editor
Brooklyn’s instrumental Post-Doom quartet CLOUDS TASTE SATANIC is set to release their fifth album on April 30, 2019 (Walpurgis Eve).
Entitled ‘Evil Eye‘, the new record features two 20-minute songs on two sides of vinyl and is the first of two CLOUDS TASTE SATANIC records coming out this year. The second album, ‘Second Sight‘, features two more 20-minute songs and will be released on October 31, 2019 (Halloween).
Consider ‘Evil Eye‘ to be Part One of a two record set, which sees the band maintaining their “Riffs Rule All” credo, with an added dose of introspection by way of mixed tempos, spacy interludes, jazzy breaks, and epic finales. Each song is divided into three parts and explores the worlds of Lesser and Greater Magic, which were inspired by “The Theory and Practice of Satanic Magic” which is part of The Satanic Bible.
Lesser Magic (first track “Evil Eye”) – “consists of the wile and guile obtained through various devices and contrived situations, which when utilized can create change in accordance with one’s will.” Greater Magic (second track “Pagan Worship”), also known as Ritual Magic – “consists of the performance of a formal ceremony, taking place, at least in part, within the confines of an area set aside for such purposes and at a specific time.”
Like its predecessor ‘The Glitter of Infinite Hell’ [read our review], the album recordings for ‘Evil Eye‘ were engineered and mixed by Ben Rice at Degraw Sound in Brooklyn, and mastered by Alan Douches (High On Fire, Converge, Mastodon) at West West Side Music. The cover and inner sleeve art are original pieces by Goatess Doomwych, whose work has graced numerous doom music covers and artwork posters, including albums by Dead Witches.
Have a listen to the first track (essentially half the album), “Evil Eye,” streaming below. Certain pre-order options are available now at the band’s Bandcamp page [HERE].
CLOUDS TASTE SATANIC:
Steve Scavuzzo – Guitar
Sean Bay – Bass
Greg Acampora – Drums
Brian Bauhs – Guitar
(Side A) 01. Evil Eye
(Side B) 02. Pagan Worship
The band is offering a hefty amount of options for physical formats, with a staggered pre-ordering schedule. The physical format vinyl and CD packages demonstrate some extensive care was taken in their creation:
– Test Pressings: 15 Copies made/11 for sale. Hand numbered w/Limited Edition sticker. Special Edition Jacket w/ original Goatess Doomwych cover art. Original Hand Silk-Screened in Blood Red & Metallic Gold by Made In Brooklyn Silkscreens.
– “Weedpurgis Edition” Vinyl Package: 100pcs, (Weedpurgis… a “Joint” celebration of 420 Day and Walpurgis Eve) 12” Ultra-Clear Vinyl w/Exclusive Blood Red & Black Splatter. Matte Varnish Die-Cut Jacket designed by Goatess Doomwych w/Debossed Stamping & Hand Numbered, Ltd. Edition Sticker. Inner Sleeve/Record Labels contain more original GD art. Signed by band upon request. Each set comes with “Weedpurgis Edition” extras: 12”/16oz Custom CTS Slipmat w/original GD art; 6” Embroidered Patch; 5” Color Promo Postcard w/the story behind Evil Eye; CTS Est. 2013 Sticker.
– Limited Edition Vinyl: 100pcs, 12” Gold & Blood Red A-Side/B-Side Vinyl w/ White/Black Splatter. Matte Varnish Die-Cut Jacket w/Debossed Stamping. Inner Sleeve/Record Labels contain more original GD art.
– Limited Edition Vinyl: 100pcs, 12” Blood Red Vinyl w/ Gold/White/Black Splatter. Matte Varnish Die-Cut Jacket w/Debossed Stamping. Inner Sleeve/Record Labels contain more original GD art.
– Limited Edition Compact Disc: 125pcs, Jewel Case, 4 Panel Insert, Outer/Inner Tray Art Exclusive to the CD.
Currently Digital and Test Press pre-orders are open. Vinyl pre-order starts April 4th; CD starts April 9th, with the full album release date set for April 30th. [ORDER HERE]
– CLOUDS TASTE SATANIC – Upcoming Live Dates –